Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Faux Metal Letters

 
I will spare you the details on the chipboard letters I bought first.  This was my second attempt at doing something to spell "FARM".  Unsure just what to do with them, I put the paper mache letters aside for a few months.  That is, until I was watching all the episodes of Fixer Upper a couple of weeks ago.  When I saw the metal letters spelling out "farm" in Joanna Gaines' farmhouse, I immediately knew how I wanted to use my letters.

 
I painted my letters in Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in the graphite color.  Then I used a silver ink pad (Martha Stewart brand I found on clearance, and forgot I had) to add the "metal" finish.  After the chalk paint was dry, I held the ink pad like you would a chalk board eraser, and just swiped and dabbed on the letters until I thought they looked like metal letters.  Then I hot glued them onto a piece of barn wood.


 
The more I watch this show on HGTV, the more I want to run to Hobby Lobby and buy extra letters and start painting :)  I love to see how Joanna Gaines is beginning to show up on blogger's post.  I too was late to find this show, and only found it thanks to a couple of blogs.  She and her family are so fun to watch, and her style is my idea of perfection.  I sure hope the DVR records the episode tomorrow night!
 
Thanks for stopping by!
Robin

3 comments:

  1. That turned out great! Waco is just about 100 miles from us and I'm very tempted to get in the car and run down to her store. Wouldn't that be fun? Of course, if she happened to be there I'd never speak to her. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look great!!! I too love the show fixer upper.. I could watch it for hours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Surely this is a site well worth seeing.

    ReplyDelete