Sunday, December 1, 2013

Decorating With Memories


I often think of this room as my "forgotten room".  When we moved in 6 years ago, we moved everything in and I've hardly touched it since.  Some coffee and side tables have come and gone, and the piano was added a few years ago. But no real changes to the overall look have occurred.  Until recently, with the addition of the white cabinet, which was my Grandparents' china cabinet.  

It has been in Pam's care for many years.  When she moved into her new hubby's house and sold her house recently, she passed it along to my care. I already have a china cabinet, and this one is a bit too small for my other dining room furniture.  I wanted to use it, and realized that I could also display part of the book collection that had belonged to my father-in-law.  I want to keep their memories going strong and I think visual reminders help.



Speaking of forgotten rooms, do any of you have dreams where you have forgotten a whole floor or wing of your house?  Or is it just me?  I have quite a few dreams where I open a door to realize I forgot I had a whole floor or basement of great rooms just begging for a makeover.  About the time I start to plan all the uses and redecorating in my head, I wake up! 


I will admit the red makes changing things a bit challenging, without making a major overhaul.  I want to  bring in some equestrian/hunt accessories to play on the large picture over the sofa.  This red was the color of my kitchen in our last house and I loved it there so much, I wanted to bring it with me. As a matter of fact, as I look at these pictures, I think I need to change out this rug ASAP.   Maybe something neutral or dark.
    




Thanks for stopping by!
Robin

2 comments: