Sunday, November 10, 2013

Vintage Snow Globe Jars



I always feel torn between Thanksgiving and Christmas decorating.  Not wanting to let go of fall and its special days, but feeling the Christmas season slipping away before it officially begins.  Especially this year.  Christmas is less than a month after Thanksgiving. I usually start slipping some Christmas decorations in around my house.





I've been cleaning closets lately and found a small box that contained these vintage elf/gnome type fellows, and pine cones.  Each piece was carefully wrapped in soft paper towels, which only means one thing.  These came from my mother-in-law :)  She has cared for and kept more things than anyone I've ever known.  I also found a small box of bottle brush trees that I bought on clearance a few years ago.  I thought these would be great to use for the Anthropologie inspired snow globes I've seen around blog land.  



I actually had everything on hand.  I used some faux snow flakes that you can get at Target.  I wanted to use the jars upright so the words were right side up.  I just put a little "snow" in the bottoms, set in the tree or elf, and sprinkled a little snow over them before placing the lid back on the jar.


Updated to add:  A "Heritage" collection of blue jars was sold this year.  They look a bit different, but cost less and are probably more available than the vintage jars.  There is a link to some for sale on Amazon HERE






Thanks for stopping by!
Robin

Sharing this week at:





Pin It

10 comments:

  1. So happy we found you, I love, love, this idea, also love that you used blue jars. We have a large supply of canning jars, we'll be making some soon as we have a Christmas Show coming in a few weeks. Hope to share pics after the show....we are your newest followers!!

    xox Glad & Celia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robin,
    Thanks for sharing these cute jars at my party today. I hope I get some time to make some this year.

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for sharing these jars I love it homemade snowglobes wow following from nifty thrifty tuesday I'm lorraine at http://lorrainesresources.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhhh, this is a sweet idea! I love vintage (wrote a fictional vintage swing dance novel www.girlinthejitterbugdress.com) And this snow globe project is something I can do with my kids! I LOVE it! Beautiful pictures on your site. I'm in awe of how people get such great photos for their blogs :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very sweet looking! So perfect to tuck in a lot of different places. Visiting from Nifty Thrifty Tuesdays.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Robin, Love this project with the canning jars. I saw you at Little Cozy House sharing a feature with you for Creative Bloggers this week. I so enjoyed my visit to your blog and now a new follower too. Have a nice rest of the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Where can I find the jars you used to make these? I just want some for my kitchen because of the color, but I have no idea where to find them. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I found mine at antique stores or the flea market over the past few years. Ball released an anniversary edition this year, but they are more "blue" and don't look the same. The new jars were available at Target earlier this year but I haven't looked for them lately. If you have an antique mall near you, I bet they will have some. The average price in my area for the old jars is around $10 each.

    ReplyDelete