Sunday, August 25, 2013

Prepping Plastic Pumpkins

 
 
 
Well, I've had August 30th marked on my calendar for a while now.  That used to be my official "start" date for fall decorating.  But  I wanted to try some new projects this year and change things up, and I certainly couldn't accomplish all that in one weekend  (I like to have most of my decorating done by the first of September so I can enjoy it as long as possible).  So I gave myself permission to start early :) 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 



 
I want to use greys and whites in some rooms. I knew it was going to be difficult to find something ready to go in my price range  (cheap :).  My goal was to find some inexpensive faux pumpkins and paint them.  I finally found something I liked at Old Time Pottery.  The small pumpkins were .99 and the large pumpkin was $5.99.  The small ones really aren't that small.  Think jumbo tomato.
 
I painted them in a self priming paint from Lowes in a color to match the Annie Sloan Old White, and some in a grey pre-mixed Valspar sample also from Lowes.  For the plastic stems, I painted grey, and finished off with some Annie Sloan dark wax when the paint was dry.
 



 
 
 


                              Before                                                                            After


 
 



 
 
Happy Fall decorating everyone!
 
 
 

Pin It

16 comments:

  1. Love them, they look fabulous. The stems really turned out nice too. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look great. I can just see your lovely fall display featuring your pumpkins.

    hugs
    Sissie

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you could call pumpkins classy, yours would be at the top of the list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job painting your pumpkins! The look so nice on the grain sack/towel?
    Now, where did I put my pumpkins? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really, really nice! Hope you share your Fall decor with the pumpkins featured in it! Crazy how expensive the fake pumpkins have gotten. You got yours for great prices!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sooo ready for fall! Love those white pumpkins! Thanks so much for sharing at The Scoop!...hugs...Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love those pumpkins, I think Walmart also has those types of pumpkins with the wonderful stems, gotta love those, painted white or black, so cool...The white will be so cool in my living room...I love yours...yay...Phyllis

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this idea! I can find them in white around here but too expensive! Pinned! Visiting from Nifty Thrifty Tuesday and following you via GFC!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am getting ready to paint cheap 50 cents purple plastic pumpkins a silver mercury glass color

    I like your pumpkins with the closed heads LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is the first time i visit your site but i will be one of your permanent visitors because you provide good topics and ideas

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely gorgeous. You really know how to put a beautiful ideas, thanks for sharing it with us :)

    ReplyDelete