Translate

Saturday, July 13, 2013

Amy Howard One Step Paint


Today Pam and I had a little sister time and met for breakfast in Franklin, followed by a little browsing among the stores on the square.  While in one store, I noticed a line of paint that seemed very similar to the Annie Sloan chalk paint.  It was the part about it being "one step" and suitable for any surface that got my attention.  Well, that and the fact that it was $28 per quart (instead of $38 per quart for the ASCP).  I was anxious to give it a try.  I bought the "Cartouche Green".





The paint was a bit on the thin side even after stirring well.  However, it covered very, very well.  I was surprised how well it went on.  There is also a large color selection for this line of paint.


This is a piece I got at a yard sale for $20 about a year ago.  When I brought it home, I had no specific plans for it.  I just played around and brushed on quite a bit of the Annie Sloan Dark Wax.  Today when buying the paint, we met some fellow shoppers that were asking us about our experience with the Annie Sloan paint and waxes.   My experience with the dark wax is that a little goes a long way.







Although no priming or sanding was required, the can did state to clean any waxy surface with a degreaser.   This piece was heavily waxed.  I just wiped it down with a wet cloth and a little Citrasolv degreaser.  This is after one coat of paint.  This also dries very quickly, with a flat finish like the chalk paint.



This is after 2 coats.  I just played around with the knobs and used a chalk marker to number them.  I will probably get some dressier knobs later, possibly glass.
















This is how it really looks, with the television and dvd player on it.



 I put a light coat of clear wax on top, just for a little extra protection.






Thanks for stopping by!

Robin
 
Linking up at  The Scoop and Nifty Thrifty Tuesday
Pin It

17 comments:

  1. Oh Robin, thank you for the tip. Your chest is beautiful an d you did a super job painting.
    Went to a garage sale today and went nuts. Found a little white table with a shelf that I am going to use Annie Sloan Paint on cost $3,00.
    Will do a post on my found treasures.
    Love your chest! Have a wonderful week.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cabinet looks beautiful and I am anxious to try this new paint.

    hugs
    Sissie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this paint with all of us...it's new to me and I would love to give it a try. That is a beautiful color that you went with and your piece looks GREAT!!!

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Linda! I wondered if if anyone else had tried this, or if I was the last one to know about it. I'm very excited about it and can't wait to get some other colors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your cabinets looks gorgeous! What a beautiful color! Thank you for sharing this new paint brand with us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sharon From MichiganJuly 16, 2013 at 12:15 PM

    Wow - you're piece looks wonderful! Thanks for sharing the info on the paint - I am going straight to the Amy Howard website now. I have some painting projects in mind and I think this paint would be the right fit! Love your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how your dresser turned out. I have one similar that is calling for me to get to sanding and paint myself. I love the color you chose as well. Very pretty and soothing. You have a lovely blog and I look forward to following along.

    I'm having a GIVEAWAY if you would like to stop by and put your name in. Open to all.
    hugs
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank You so much for sharing your experience with the One Step Paint! We absolutely love that there is no prep work except for an easy degrease with even something like Simple Green and then no sealer after the paint has dried! I love the use of the Cartouche Green...it looks great on this cabinet that you rescued!

    "Enjoy the Bragging Rights!"

    ReplyDelete
  9. The dresser turned out beautifully! I, too, recently stumbled across Amy Howard's paint (though I paid $35 for it!) and bought some to try. I LOVE it! I'm looking to purchase more (but not at the $35 price). Where did you find yours?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cyndi. I bought my paint at LuLu's on the square in Franklin, TN.

      Delete
  10. what kind of brush dis u use?

    do u have to use wax?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan. I just used a chip brush from the hardware store. You don't have to wax, but I usually wax at least the top of the pieces I paint just because I know someone will pass by and set a glass or something on it.

      Delete
  11. You did a beautiful job on the dresser. And you used my favorite color of Amy Howard One Step paint! Really good post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh that's great. I just found a similar paint here in Australia, that compares so similar to ASCP. I have just done a blog post on it also. A lot cheaper and goes on really well, if there are any Aussie readers needing an alternative.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks great! I just painted an armiore with Amy Howard Mollie Yellow. Do you suggest light or dark wax?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you are happy with the color, I would use the light wax. The dark wax will change the color, much like staining.

      Delete