Translate

Translate

Sunday, February 3, 2013

A Painting Disaster And Plan "B"

 
 
 
 
The four side chairs in the dining room have been on my "to paint" list for some time.  They were the only pieces of furniture in the room that were still the original shiny wood finish.  I've also been wanting to try milk paint.  I've been looking around blog land at everyone's techniques.  I like the idea of a distressed finished, so I ordered milk paint but didn't order the bonding agent.  Big mistake #1.  Then I came home Friday night after a long week, and proceeded to tackle this project.  Big mistake #2.   I debated on if I should rough up the chairs first with sandpaper, but opted out.  Big mistake #3.  Luckily I only started on one chair.  That baby peeled like a bad sunburn.  I tried wiping some off, and sanding, then repainting.  It just went from bad to worse, making a huge mess along the way.  I finally just decided to go with "Plan B".  I cleaned everything up and stuck the chair aside with plans to get some black paint at Lowe's. 
 

 
Since we had a "Tennessee Blizzard" early Saturday, I insisted on driving my 19 year old son to work.  And he insisted on being dropped off at the end of his building :)  But not wanting to leave this undone chair mess hanging over my head, I went on to Lowe's.  Once inside, I couldn't decide if I should get the satin finish or the flat finish. The smart thing would have been to get one of each.  It was only a quart size of premixed generic black.   Actually, the best thing would have been to pick a shade of black and have a quart mixed.  Clearly I'm not making the best choices lately.  So in that tradition, I went with the satin finish.



 
I came home and immediately started painting chairs.  Naturally I thought they looked a bit too shiny.  But since this paint took so darn long to dry (as in hours) I kept hoping it would lose some of the sheen.  By the end of the  day, I was just wishing for a good can of chalk paint.  However, I had some of this awesome grain sack fabric that I ordered from Décor Steals.  I wanted to implement all I had planned for this room over the weekend.  I also got the houndstooth rug a couple of weeks ago, and was anxious to see how everything looked together.
 

 
I experienced a bit of buyer's remorse on this fabric.  Only because I didn't order more!  I love this stuff but only got 2 yards! 
 

 
I'm still not completely sold on the black and white combo for the table and chairs.  I'm definitely going to put on another coat of paint either in flat black or maybe chalk paint on the side chairs.  I'm temped to paint the whole set black, but I'm afraid it may be too dark for the room.  Would you go all black, or leave the black and white? 
 

 
I can live with it as it is for now.  I just wanted to see how all the patterns were going to come together.


 
I drug out my old ammo box lid that I had stenciled on and put it back on the buffet.  To brighten things up a bit, I added this fake grass I found at Dollar General. 

 
 
 
 
 
Thanks so much for stopping by!  Wishing everyone a great week!
Robin
 
 

 
 

15 comments:

  1. Everything looks so pretty! LOVE that fabric!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you are obsessing about the things that might not be exactly what you had in mind...I do that too. Your room is beautiful! I love the black and white contrast with the soft colored walls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can so relate to projects not turning out as planned! My favorite top coat for durability is a satin that is sometimes too shiny for what I have in mind, so I simply spray a light coat of matte finish clear spray varnish over the top. You just have to be careful not to spray too heavily or it will get a white tint to it. Might be worth a try on your chairs if you're still not happy with the finish- a lot easier than repainting. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks SheilaG. I will definitely try this before repainting :)

      Delete
  4. I think your room is gorgeous! Love mix of patterns, toile, houndstooth and that gorgeous grain sack fabric! I think the black and white looks great, I kind of like when things aren't always so matchy, matchy. BEAUTIFUL room! Indecision is always so hard, I'm trying to decorate a house we just purchased and it's sitting 1/2 done because I've used up all my decision making and I'm stuck, and then I'm questioning what I do have done! Hope to find my mojo again soon!
    ~Pendra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pendra! I'm definitely trying to get away from matchy matchy, but it's a slow go. I know what you mean about using up all your decision making. Wishing you renewed mojo soon!

      Delete
  5. I am glad to hear that others have this type of day. I have them too, but other bloggers don't seem to, so thanks for letting us in on the "not so perfect " day!
    The black is good, though if you don't like shine, there is a varnish, called "dead flat" that my friend used to take the shine out of a couple of paint jobs. It is called "Master's Touch " (I think) and it works! Try something like that first. Hers was a brush on type....
    It is looking good.
    Nancy
    http://wildoakdesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the whole look - especially the sign on the buffet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like the white and black together! They go really well with your awesome rug and add a little drama to the room! I also like the mix and match fabric look and how they all go so nicely with your gorgeous buffet! Looks like a happy accident to me! Hugs, Leena

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello friends, fastiԁious paгagrаρh аnԁ nice arguments commented here,
    I am genuinely еnjoying by these.
    Also see my webpage :: 1 month loan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don't feel alone...we have all been there. I do love that grain sack fabric...also like that dollar store grass (thanks for the heads up).

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  10. I personally, like the black chairs. I like everything in the room except the arm chairs. Maybe you could put a pop of color on them. Red, pink, tourquoise? If you don't like it (just do the top or bottom of chair) but, don't paint it white again, it is too blah with the grain sack. Good luck. Paula (BTW- who makes your new sofa?)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so caught up in indecision I haven't finished any rooms in two years...so I'm just going to copy yours. Seriously, I love your rooms and just found your blog. So many good ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Everything looks beautiful! Can you please tell me where you purchased your chandelier and the brand name of it? Thanks, Cyndi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cyndi! I purchased the chandelier from Home Depot. It has been many years. However, I found a similar on eat Overstck.com. Item #: 12114026. I purchased my kitchen chandelier from Overstock and was very pleased with it.

      Delete