I recently painted a hand-me-down dresser to put under the wall mount T.V. in our bedroom. I needed something fairly large to put on top when I eventually remembered an old Beethoven bust stashed in the barn. We bought this thing at Michael's about 18 years ago. We certainly got lots of use from it, from house to house. I'd almost forgotten about it until we were cleaning the barn earlier this year, and for a brief moment started to toss it in the trash.
I can't believe we haven't broken Mr. Beethoven through all our moves. He is just made of some type of plaster. He's certainly had his fair share of nicks and chips, but a coat of Annie Sloan French Linen took care of that. I used a bit of Old Ochre to highlight his ruffly blouse and a few other spots.
I do think his big noggin is interfering with my channel switching sometimes. He's in front of the control panel of the T.V.
I wanted to put together a little display for this piece using what I had on hand. I found these 2 silk Hydrangeas at the flea market for $1 each if I remember correctly. There were only 4 of them so Pam and I shared. They were just laying around when I got the idea to stick them in a blue jar.
This dresser was a black and cream crackle when I received it. Shortly after I painted it white with an interior latex paint. The handles were stuck in a time warp. I gave it a couple of coats of Old Ochre and put on some new wood knobs.
This was the lovely crackle on the dresser "before".
I actually tried stripping the top of the dresser, but 3 coats and one empty can of stripper later, it didn't look much better than this. I decided the easiest solution was to paint the top and heavily distress the areas where there was actually some wood showing, then wax the top.
Thanks for stopping by!