Translate

Translate

Monday, December 10, 2012

The Birth Of A New Room - Naming the Porch





This is our new room.  When the house was built 5 years ago, this was a screened porch, connecting the house and garage.  The areas that are windows or drywall now, used to be open and screened.  The fireplace was part of the original construction. 





We had several choices for what to call this room.  Do you have names for your rooms, other than what the house plans state?  We call our "living room" the piano room.  Because well, there is a piano in there.  Not the baby grand we hoped for when building the house, but a piano nonetheless.  The "great room" we usually call the living room.  I tend to confuse everyone when I refer to it as the family room. :)  I wanted to call the new room a hearth room, or keeping room, but everyone kept referring to it as the porch room.  And when I communicated to our contractor, it was always the porch.  So, we decided it would be most fitting to officially declare it the "porch room".




The floor used to be tile, but we had it replaced with a pre-finished scraped wood floor.



I've always liked the brick.  When building the house, we were going for an aged farmhouse feel for the exterior.  I like having the exposed brick walls in this room. 


We brought in the sofa from the family room.   The chair was in an upstairs bedroom.  We just pulled in furniture and accessories we already had to furnish the room and save money.  I didn't intentionally plan to have so many owl pillows in here, but they worked best with the existing furniture.  The blue owl I already had, and the 2 brown script owl pillows I found at Marshall's.

  
 

 

 


Well, I guess there are a couple of things I bought for this room.  The wreath from TJ Maxx, and the cow canvas from D├ęcor Steals.





This room is adjacent to the kitchen.  To the right of the T.V. is a French door that opens to the pool area.  I'm not sure why I didn't get a picture including the door, unless it was because I couldn't get in the corner with the Christmas tree.

 


I look at so many other blogs and am amazed at the beautiful photography.  I am envious of everyone with their photo shop skills and actions.  Believe me, I struggle to get pictures that I'm not embarrassed to post.  On that note, last week I had taken some pictures of this wall while a fire was burning.  Then my computer died, taking those pictures with it.  Although it was about 70 degrees outside this weekend when I took these pictures, I really wanted the effect of the fire.  Let me just say it isn't a good idea to run around with a camera in your hand and try to light a gas fireplace starter at the same time.  And, it's also a good idea to have matches or a lighter in hand before turning on the gas. I think I singed off any hair that may have been on my right arm!   










I'm eager to show pictures of my kitchen, as it has changed the most.  But, I still have a couple of projects to finished in there, and I'm waiting for a delivery from Ballard Designs.

Thanks for stopping by!

Robin

I'm linking to:

Between Naps On The Porch

Sunday Showcase Party

Wow Us Wednesdays




Feathered Nest Friday

8 comments:

  1. Love this room. Wish I could replace our tiled sun room floor with wood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how wonderful! I have a room like this that was once a porch, and it's now the "Sunroom." But your "Porchroom" has a certain ring to it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. our back porch was enclosed when we bought our house--we still call it the back porch! (granted, ours is not heated or cooled and is used more for storage than anything else . . .)
    you did a lovely job with your remodel!
    paige

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a data of un-ambiguity and preserveness of precious knowledge concerning unpredicted feelings.
    My weblog amber leaf 12.5g

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, found your feature (yay!) at Savvy Southern Style - I am in love with your room, whatever you choose to call it! The brick walls are gorgeous, and the owl pillows fit right into the style. I know you're going to love spending time in this room. Yes, we do name our rooms, and the room that used to be "The Red Room" (it was painted red by previous owners) was recently painted to a soft grey, and it's been so hard not to keep calling it the red room! Thanks for sharing your beautiful new room with us! Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know what you mean Ms. Redo. We would probably just keep calling it the red room :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your room looks beautiful - a great place to just sit and simply..be. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete