Saturday, December 10, 2011

Paper Chains and Silhouettes



When my daughter went back to college after Thanksgiving break, she expressed how she would really like to have a tree in her room at home this year.  Naturally I checked the sales and ran out to get one so I could surprise her when she comes home for Christmas break.  This is a 4.5 feet pre-lit tree I got at Walgreen's.  I knew she wanted something simple and preferably a music paper chain.



I was still uncertain about just how I was going to decorate it, until I went to T.J. Maxx this week.  I found a silhouette on canvas that I bought for her room.  She took a few things off the walls to go to her dorm, and there are some bare spots to fill.   As I was admiring the canvas I bought, this decorating idea hit me.




I cut the silhouettes out of white card stock and a black file folder I had.  I used thin black ribbon and ornament hangers to hang them.  For the topper, I made a small music wreath and glued a circle and silhouette in the center.



Perhaps the best part about this theme is it cost almost nothing.  Just a few pages of music and cardstock, staples and glue.  Can't beat low cost decorating in my book!









I first made a paper chain out of the hymnal pages for our flea market booth in October.  I was surprised how many people noticed and like the chain.  Unfortunately I only made one for display and didn't have any to sell.    Seems as though many people made paper chains as a childhood craft and loved the memories brought to mind when seeing this.    We heart paper chains : )



I'm linking this to Nifty Thrifty Tuesday at Coastal Charm


2 comments:

  1. Love the music paper chain. What a great idea on the tree.

    Nice to visit your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your daughter will be so delighted. The tree looks great and I love the music theme. What a special treat for her room while she's home on break. I'm your newest follower and I hope you can pop by Cottage and Creek and follow back. Merry Christmas to you and yours.
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete