Saturday, November 26, 2011

I Shopped Black Friday .... and lived to paint my mantle












The past 2 years, we've ventured out just after sunrise to go to the Black Friday sale at Belk's.  Other than that, I usually do most of my Black Friday shopping on line.   A few weeks ago, half jokingly, I mentioned to my daughter and her friend how we should be out when the stores open on Black Friday.  Wouldn't you know they held me to my words?  We left the house just after 11 and were in line at Target at midnight when the doors opened.  We were in and out in an hour.  Great!  Then we went to Kohl's, where I had my biggest list of things to look for.  We got some great things at great prices, but stood in the check out line over an hour and a half.  At this point it was around 3:00 A.M.  I joked to some of the people in line with us that I hadn't been up that late in 20 years, and  how I didn't now if my body could handle it.  But just in case I passed out from sleep deprivation, I had my son and his girlfriend with us also.  I was confident that with 3 young adults, they could manage to drag me out and drive me home if necessary.  We actually had lots of fun and finished the night off with a trip through the drive through at McDonalds just after 4  A.M..  We got home and in bed just before 5 A.M.  The kids even mentioned making this a new tradition.

Fortunately I recovered fairly quickly and got started on the Christmas decorating, which included painting my mantle. I've been thinking about this one for a few weeks, texting Pam for her advice.  I didn't want to wind up with a mantle that stuck out like a sore thumb.



I like the frosty border, but it changed the colors in my photos.





I painted it with the ASCP Old Ochre, which is one of my new favorite colors.  I'm very pleased with the results.  The old stained look just blended in with all the stone.





This is how it looked before, in the picture of my son and his sweet girlfriend.  Although there was an incident at Kohl's when he came back to the check out line, with a different pair of boots than what she asked him to carry for her.  It was the last pair they had.  As he ran back to see if he could find them, we wondered if the boots were a relationship breaker, ha ha.  Quite some time later, and with her help, they managed to locate the lost boots.  These were really cool boots at a really great price.  Thankfully the relationship is still intact.



4 comments:

  1. The mantel looks so much better painted! Love it!
    tot

    ReplyDelete
  2. going to share this with a client--she's been trying to decide if she should paint her's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies! I love the combination of rustic and elegance. I feel like the painted mantle is certainly more elegant now, among all that rustic stone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your mantle looks beautiful white and the decor really sets it off. I just found your blog and really like your decorating style. I am your newest follower. Patty

    ReplyDelete