Sunday, October 2, 2011

Snapshots of Fall and a Pumpkin Scone Recipe



I'm definitely saving the best for last in this post.  The pumpkin scone recipe is at the bottom.









These are just some snapshots around my house.  Several of these pieces are headed to the Nashville Flea Market this month.  Like the black plant stand above, and the large white candle stick below.
















This old, huge, handmade tool box is also Flea Market bound.
















Okay, now for the best part.  I made these for the first time this weekend, and my college age daughter and her friend declared them better than Starbucks.  I really can't take the credit.  This was a good recipe.  I did tweak it just a little.  The original is at Sweetpeas kitchen .  Here is my version.

2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsps. pumpkin pie spice
6 tablespoons cold butter, cut into small cubes
1/2 cup canned pumpkin
3 tablespoons cream
                                                                        1 large egg

Mix the dry ingredients and then cut the butter pieces in with a pastry blender.  Mix the pumpkin, cream and egg in a separate bowl and then fold into the dry mixture. You probably need to use your hands at this point.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.  Make sure all the dry ingredients are moistened and form into a round disc about 1 inch thick onto the parchment paper.  Cut pizza style into 8 even wedges, but do not separate.  Bake at 425 degrees for about 15 minutes.

Let it cool a bit, but while it is still slightly warm, cover the top of the pieces with spiced glaze below.

                                                     
Spiced Glaze

1 cup plus 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
2 - 3 tablespoons cream
1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice

Let this cool a bit and drizzle the powdered sugar glaze over each piece.

Powdered Sugar Glaze

1 cup plus 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
2 - 3 tablespoons cream


This was so good, I made up a second batch before I put away all my baking supplies.  Best when eaten warm with a nice hot cup of coffee!

Happy Fall!

 

2 comments:

  1. Your decorations are beautiful! I love that white candle stick!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks ABW! I wish we could find more.

    ReplyDelete