Thursday, September 1, 2011

Dining Room Mini Makeover


My dining room has bothered me for a long time.  Everything was blah and bland.  My table and chairs were purchased about 17 years ago from your run-of-the-mill discount furniture store.  Through the years, the table and chairs have faded from indirect sunlight, and were different colors.


 

After reading about the Annie Sloan Chalk Paint, I started to think that painting the table might not be such a daunting task after all.  I recently found  C'est Moi, a  local store in the next county that carries the ASCP.  I picked up a quart of the Old White.   It was after I saw, and impulsively ordered from Wuslu, the old script mat on Miss Mustard Seed's blog, that I became motivated to paint.  After all, I couldn't dream of unrolling this gorgeous mat in a blah room.



Since my china cabinet was the same-ish color as the chairs, I wanted to keep an even balance of painted and wood tone furniture in the room. I decided to make over the arm chairs at the ends of the table. One quart of the Old White ASCP covered my table, the 2 chairs, with a little left over.





                           


I lightly sanded the table and arm chairs to show the wood tones.  I decided to leave the black toile cover on the 4 chairs I did not paint.  To re-cover the arm chairs, I used the citra solve method to transfer a French flea market design onto drop cloth fabric.






I love combining elegant and rustic.  I found this old chicken feed sack on Etsy.



Can you tell what is driving me nuts about this picture?

The candles weren't lit.  I'm all for consistency.  I am not for re-taking all my pictures.


I'm very pleased with the overall results.  It really wasn't that much work.  The ASCP dries very, very quickly which makes for a much faster painting process.


Thanks for stopping by!




Robin

12 comments:

  1. Your dinning room is beautiful! All your hard work was worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robin:

    It is all SO GORGEOUS. I love the coors and textures you used and I ADORE the simple touches of autumn on the horizon....

    Perfect!

    I'm inspired : )

    Cori

    ReplyDelete
  3. Robin,
    Your paint job turned out beautifully! Your dining room is lovely, love the touches of fall!
    My BF and I have been trying to make time to go over to C'Moi to check out the paint, can't wait to try it!
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  4. Robin ~ It turned out just beautiful!! I have been totally putting off doing my dining room table and chairs ~ How many coats did you need to do ?
    Thank you for showing us!

    xoxo
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, that is one gorgeous room! It looks like something out of magazine and you did a fantastic job on the table and chairs. The giant mirror is fabulous too! We love finding other sisters who blog together and hope you will pop over and pay us a visit sometime! :-)
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your dining room is magazine-esque! Fab job, what a beautiful room.

    Kristina
    @PearlGateway
    www.pearlgateway.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow it's beautiful! Right out of a catalog! I love that mat as well. Dont we all love everything MMS? LOL. I would love for you to share your talents at my VIP party today. http://designergarden.blogspot.com/2011/09/vip-party-26.html
    Have a wonderful holiday weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It all looks really great! Isn't Miss Mustard Seed a great blog! I'm working on a slipcover from her tutorial. I really have to try that paint line!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well thank you ladies for all those sweet comments!

    Lori, I did 2 coats on the table and chairs, then came back and touched up a few spots that seemed a little lighter. A darker color may not take as much.

    Thanks Sommer! I just linked up to your party.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your dining room is absolutely beautiful~ I adore your chair seats especially- so charming! Thanks for sharing at Feathered Nest Friday this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. SOOOO gorgeous!! WOW!! Must make you smile whenever you walk into the room!

    http://upcyclingmylife.blogspot.com/2011/08/mmmmmi-love-stencils.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous! Proof that you can use white and dark woods in the same room and it looks great! I love how you mix it up- formal pieces and rustic because that's sometimes what we have, Handed-down family heirlooms, newer pieces we've purchased or been given. You put it all together beautifully! Can't wait to see what you do for the next holidays! Love, your newest follower, Linda

    ReplyDelete