Wednesday, August 17, 2011

My Drop Cloth Curtains - Three Windows For $30


For several years I've had toile curtains in my kitchen.  I love, love, love toile.  But this toile caused problems.  It had a goldish color pattern in the background and no other pattern seemed to match.  I always felt like my holiday tablecloths or place settings were out of place. 


I finally decided I would buy only 1 drop cloth per window and see if I could make it work.  My first thought, before getting them home, was to split each one up the middle and hem the edges, making 2 panels.  After playing around with them, thankfully before getting out the scissors, I decided I liked this look best.  I bought 3 drop cloths for $10 each at Home Depot.  You can find more information on them HERE .




I didn't prewash these drop cloths like I do when using them for other projects.  I gave them a quick ironing, just to get out the large fold lines.  Then I folded over the tops, to get them the length I wanted, and clipped them to the curtain rings.  No cutting, no hemming, nothing.  I wanted to use some burlap ribbon for tiebacks, but couldn't find any at Hobby Lobby.  However, while there, I did find the great iron drawer pulls.  They were on sale for $1.50 each.




I just hot glued the head of a nail into the back of the knob, and stuck it in the wall, into a hole I had previously nailed in.


I love the freedom that the solid panels give me.  Now I can use any other pattern in my kitchen for decorating or on the table.


Maybe one day I will get the time to try making a drop cloth slipcover for my sofa.  Drop cloths are a great, affordable solution when decorating on a budget.


5 comments:

  1. Lookin good! I don't use curtains because we are so far off of the road, and I love the open feel. But.......I have been awfully tempted to try the slip cover project! I love the look of drop cloth fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish my windows could go naked :) Although we are in the country, there's lots of people around us. I love the open look too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,
    I visited your blog today - I saw you on Whimsical Musings Magazines. Your blog is so pretty and charming. We are a sister team too. I love the red roses on your HEADER, and if you go to our blog, you will see why. We just started a new blog, and we would love it if you could visit us and follow. I would enjoy coming back to visit with you and seeing all your wonderful ideas. Hope to hear from you, and have a lovely weekend.
    ~Sheri at Red Rose Alley

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the curtains and the frame on the wall with the three plates!!! Your blog is always so inspiring!!! Thanks for sharing.
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a good deal with a Curtain. It might help people to purchase reasonable price curtain. It might help them.

    curtain draperies

    ReplyDelete