Monday, April 18, 2011

One Step Closer To Loving My Dining Room





Over the weekend I finally got the gumption to tackle a project in my dining room.  It already feels so much better.

I've been torn over having a rug in there that matched the dining room in a house we haven't lived in for over 5 years.  Since buying a new rug wasn't an option, I finally decided to just go rugless.  I looked over many blog and magazine pictures and found as many rooms without rugs as with rugs.  The room felt cramped before, but now feels very roomy.

For all the work it took to sand and prep this piece, I probably could have painted the dining table faster.



This may have been a grand piece at one time.  But, I'm just not feeling the crackle.  This was actually a hand-me-down from someone. 


Before 

After. 


 Ahhh. Much Better.


I briefly thought about running to Home Depot to buy glass handles for this.
Instead, I used a metal color spray paint and kept the original hardware.  The handles actually have initials stamped into the brass.




The main reason I want to paint my dining table is that over the years, the sunlight coming through the window has faded the chairs and they are a distinctly different color of "cherry" than the table.  And, this isn't exactly a high end piece of furniture, but it was the best we could afford at the time.  Sixteen years ago.

5 comments:

  1. I love it!!
    I got a cute little desk at Good will this weekend and I plan to give it a make-over!

    ReplyDelete
  2. U did a great job I love the after

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the comment on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ABW, I actually drive beside the Parthenon every day on my way to work. Your photos of Nashville capture the beauty I overlook every day.

    ReplyDelete