Saturday, January 8, 2011

Quick Lampshade Makeover



Our booth at the Willow's Nest is located in the  front corner of the  oh-so-cute cottage.  As such, it doesn't have the best lighting and gets a little dark in the afternoons.  We wanted to add some lighting that blended with the style of our merchandise.  I had this lamp in my guest room and it was never used.  The sculpted design was gold, so I gave the whole thing a quick cover of flat  black paint.  For the shade, I wanted to try an idea that had been floating around in my head for awhile.  I've seen a similar project using ribbon. I turned to one of my favorite fabrics, the good old cotton canvas drop cloth.  I tore strips about an inch or so wide and wrapped the shade top to bottom.  I stitched the ends in place with a needle and thread, and made up a quick little flower which I attached to the shade with a button in the middle, using a couple of stitches.   This was very quick and only took me about 30 minutes.  Next time I make one, I will stitch the strips of fabric together using my sewing machine, end on top of end for a flat seam. This will make for only one starting and one stopping point. The one I made today is only for lighting purposes and will not be for sale, so I was going for the fast method.  But, I really like the results.  So much so that I hate to take it to the store.  I guess I will have to be on the lookout for more lamps, so this one can come back home soon.



Thanks for stopping by our little blog!

8 comments:

  1. I really like it.Might have to give my lamp in the lounge room a little redo..xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is gorgeous....and I have a lamp that needs work!

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's fast. That's my favorite kind of project!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am looking for an easy redo. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure you will come up with something great. I've seen people use ribbon also.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful !! What a clever idea !

    ReplyDelete